Saturday 15 August 2015

Dialogues: Johnlock domestics

Holmes the cold rational intellectual versus Watson the passionate fighter. Head & fists, logic & emotion, reasoning & acting.
Friendship stories can be as beautiful and powerful as love stories. Friendship may be a kind of love, in a way.   

That is really a major trump card of the serie: domestics -as Mrs Hudson calls it- between Sherlock and John, the Johnlock couple. As in every couple, it can go from simple teasing to harsh words and long-lasting quarrel. 
These scene are present in each episode, I chose just some of them.
Sherlock - John

1.2. The blind banker. Going to the museum:
I need an advice.
(John smiles) - What, sorry?
- You heard it perfectly, I'm not repeating it.
- You need an advice
- On painting, yes.

1.3. The great game /At Baker Street:
- A head. A cut head. There is a bloody head in the fringe!
- Where was I supposed to put it?

Sherlock insists on John trying to analyse data and making deductions. Reluctant, fearing an humiliation, John finally accepts and makes several pertinent observations.
- So?
- Well, John, very well. I mean, you've missed practically all that's important but... You know...

 And later, in a rare moment when Sherlock give up any pride:
- Oh, I've disappointed you?
- Good deduction!
- Don't think people are heroes, John. Heroes don't exist, and if they did, I wouldn't be one of them.

2.1. A scandal in Belgravia / In the street, before meeting Irene Adler:
- Punch me! Did you hear me?
- I always hear “punch me” when you're talking, but it's usually sub-text.
- Oh, for God's sakes!
He gives a punch to John, who replies.
- Thank you, that was...
John goes on punching
- Ok, I think we're done now John
John (still fighting) – You want to remember, Sherlock, I was a soldier. I killed people.
- You were a doctor.
- I had bad days...


2.2. The Hound of Baskerville / Two exceptions there: Sherlock is totally upset because, for the first time, he can't trust his own senses. After harsh words toward John, he tries to makes some excuses -sort of excuses.
(John, resentful) - You're being funny now?
- Thought it might break the ice a bit.
- Funny doesn't suit you. I'd stick to ice.
And a few minutes later:
- You're amazing, you're fantastic!
- Yes, all right, you don't have to overdo it.
- You've never been the most luminous of people, but as a conductor of light, you're unbeatable. Some people who aren't geniuses have an amazing ability to stimulate it in others.

3.3. His last vow / A beautiful dialogue with Mary and Mrs Hudson:
If you didn't see the episode, don't read, SPOILER!


- Is everyone I ever met a psycopath?
- Yes. Good that we have settled that. Now...
- Shut up! And stay shut up. Because this is not funny. Not this time.
- I didn't say it was funny.
- (turns to Mary) You... What have I ever done, my whole life, to deserve you?
- Everything.
- Sherlock, I told you, shut up!
- No, I mean it, seriously. Everything. Everything you ever done is what you did.
- Sherlock, one more word and you will not need morphine.
- You are a doctor who went to war. You're a man who couldn't stay in the suburbs for more than a month without storming a crack den and beating up a junkie. Your best friend is a sociopath who solves crimes as an alternative to getting high. That's me, by the way. Hello. Even the landlady used to run a drug cartel.
- (Mrs Hudson) It was my husband's cartel. I was just typing.
- And exotic dancing.
- Sherlock Holmes, if you've been YouTubing...
John, you're addicted to a certain lifestyle. You're abnormally attracted to dangerous situations and people, so is it truly such a suprise that the woman you fall in love with conforms to that pattern ?
- But she wasn't supposed to be like that. Why is she like that ?
Because you chose her.
Why is everything always … my fault!
- (Mrs Hudson, because of the noise) Ooh, the neighbours!

3. Christmas ep. The abominable bride
- You amaze me.
- I do ?
- Since when have you any kind of imagination ?
- Perhaps since I convinced the reading public that an unprinciple drug addict was some kind of a gentleman hero.  

No comments:

Post a Comment